CloakShield - Node to node communications - is a onion-routing implementation for CloakCoin's network traffic.
On startup, each Cloak wallet generates a [NID_secp256k1] keypair (Cloaking Encryption Key / CEK) to enable them to derive ad-hoc secrets using ECDH with their private key and the recipient's public key. This communication forms the basis on all node-to-node communications relating to Enigma. This ECDH based encrypted communication is also utilized for onion-routed data, which is handled by CloakShield. CloakShield utilizes end-to-end encryption and delivers secure communication, allowing nodes to circumvent traffic analysis.
When onion routing is enabled, the client will attempt to construct a valid onion route for the data using the list of Enigma peers that it is aware of. The node may not have a direct connection to the Enigma peers, but that is not necessary as CloakData (data packed for routing with CloakShield) packets are relayed peer-to-peer. An onion route will typically consist of 3 distinct routes to the destination node, with 3 node hops per route. Multiple routes are used to cope with situations where a routing node drops offline.
Nodes periodically send out an Enigma Announcement to peers to advertise their services for onion routing. Other nodes on the network store the announcements (until they expire or are replaced with an update) and use them to construct the onion routes.
Combined with Enigma, it is designed for privacy, utilizing up to 25 hops using symmetric RSA encryption backed by an ECDH key exchange. This means all network traffic in a ENIGMA transaction is impossible to monitor or trace.
- Uses end-to-end encryption and provides secure communication
- Designed to secure both ENIGMA and decentralized CloakCoin applications, and will ensure your data stays as private as possible.
- Allows the encrypted sending of data to one or more recipients.
- Allows any CloakCoin data objects to be serialized and transmitted securely to one or more recipients.
- Allows nodes to communicate indirectly to circumvent traffic analysis.
- Provides an onion routing network and you can use up to 25 hops!